Maria Summerford is Limited Licensed Psychologist who has more than 15 years in the mental health field. Her education is focused on Clinical Psychology with a concentration in Psychoanalysis, family therapy, Cognitive therapy, and Motivation Interview techniques.
Maria Summerford has a broad working experience in Mental Health Agencies in programs and Hospitals in the Detroit Area and in private practice where she was part of Severe Psychiatric Mental health team, Dual diagnosed population and Recovery Addiction program working with Adults, Adolescents and children. She is also a certified alcohol and drug abuse counselor (CAADC) through the state of Michigan.
She also worked with special populations such refugees where she was part of Crisis First Respond Mental Health Team. She was an educator in an Elementary school prior to becoming a Psychologist which gave a lot expertise in children and adolescent issues. She has training in issues such as: stemming from childhood physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, Parenting Concerns/Child Management Strategies Self Esteem & Lack of Confidence Stress Management Women’s Issues, and Parenting assistance and skills.
She was also a part of several mental health projects that involved Latino Communities where she was able to use her Bilingual Spanish skills.
Her specialty is treating children, adolescents, and adults. She provides quality diagnostic evaluations, specialized testing, and counseling to treat a broad range of problems.
- Stress/anger management issues.
- Substance Abuse and Dependency; dual diagnosis issues.
- PTSD, abuse issues
- Issues stemming from childhood physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
- Relationship difficulties, family problems and interpersonal skills deficiencies
- Family difficulties, including divorce, infertility, loss
- Parenting assistance and skills. Parenting Concerns/Child Management
- Anxiety / stress – generalized anxiety, panic, OCD, phobias
- Depression / negative mood/
- Disruptive behavior – oppositional or defiant behavior
- Eating disorders and weight loss issues.
- Life/Work Balance
- Strategies Self Esteem & Lack of Confidence Stress Management Women’s Issues
- Christian Counseling
- Couples/Marriage Counseling
- Severe Psychiatrist diagnosis: client they need to support their psychiatric treatment with therapy to manage symptoms, coping skills and recovery of mental health issues.
Maria does allow a sliding scale for individuals who do not have insurance.